Check out this great video
The race is on. Water levels will be up but good. Prediction is 7.2. We do have a backup plan if the water level would have been to high.
No day of signups. You must preregister.
Registration closes on May 6th at midnight. Chip timing pickup and shirts will be at Connellsville Boat Ramp May 8th day of the race 8am-9:30. No day of signups. To be guaranteed a shirt you must signup by midnight April 22nd.
May 8th 2021
Youghness Monster 22 Paddlesports Race is a 22 mile down river race. The race was originally a 25 mile race. It was shortened to 22 miles for a better finish line and takeout. Class 1 & 2 water depending on river levels. River Gauge at 4-4.5 is ideal for any boat https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03083500
The race will have several classes to include unlimited, sea kayak, tandem, recreational and fishing kayaks. Canoes and SUP's there will be several classes. The water level is controlled by the U.S. Corp of Engineers at the Youghiogheny Dam. You will be able to race any type of Canoe, Kayak, or SUP. The race starts in Connellsville, PA at the Connellsville Boat Ramp. Finishes at Cedar Creek County Park. The race main sponsor is Performance Kayak Inc and Stellar Kayaks & Surfskis. Performance Kayak is Western Pa's premier kayak dealer and can supply you with all you need to get on the water. Come join the fun May 8th. Connellsville Boat Ramp May 8th 2021
Saturday morning there will be packet pickup from 8am-9:30am at the race start at 320 N First St, Connellsville, PA 15425
1. PFD’s Must be worn at all times
2. If you are injured or someone else is dial 911
3. Mandatory Pre race meeting at 9:30
4. Race starts at 10:00. It is chip timed so you can start when you are ready. You have till 10:30.
5. When you cross the timing mat your time begins
6. If you need help there is a trail on the left.
7. Fire Depts will be monitoring the river and from the trail.
8. Kayaks and surfskis are to be paddled with a 2 blade paddle. Canoes are single blade. No pedal power.
9. There is a trail that follows the river on the left downstream
10. If for some reason you have to get out pull out on the left side of the river and go to the trail
11. There will be cyclists traveling the trail monitoring the race
12. The center of the river is usually the deepest
13. Finish line is at mile 22 at Cedar Creek County Park on the left, look for race markers, Performance Kayak and Stellar Flags.
14. No Shuttles available so plan ahead.
Phone Number to reach for help. If you or someone else is injured dial 911
Hansel Lucas (Director) 724-987-3597
Start line address is 325 N First St, Connellsville, PA 15425
Finish line will be at Cedar Creek Park boat ramp.
May 8th 2021 The Youghness Monster 22 is a 22 mile canoe & kayak race from Connellsville - Cedar Creek Park Finish line will be at Cedar Creek Activity Center 453 Evergreen Dr, Belle Vernon, PA 15012 on the Youghiogheny River.
2018 Race results are at http://www.runhigh.com/2018RESULTS/R050518CA.html
2019 Race Results are at http://www.runhigh.com/2019RESULTS/R050419CA.html
Helmets are not required. PFD's must be worn and an audible sounding device (whistle) are required. The race is on a very scenic section of the Youghiogheny River. The kayak, SUP & canoe race is on class 1 & 2 water that anyone can do. There are some fun rapids. At the perfect water level that we expect this time of the year you can use any type of canoe or kayak. Water temp should be around 65 degrees.
Sign up to hear from us about updates, places to stay, and more info